If you have watched some of my past videos, you might know that I like tealights (For example here and here). So I decided to combine that and my fondness of ridiculous long project run times, and this is the result. Tealight holders with an endgrain element, made in fall 2014 and finally finished. Enjoy, and remember to be Inspired!
The Usual Variations
You should know by now that there are very few operations that require a single tool to complete. They exist, but with a little effort, every tool can be replaced at least by one or two other choices. I just thought it might help to point that out.
As far as this project goes, the table saw as one of the main tools used for cutting the wood can be replaced with a miter saw – just make sure you clamp the piece down to prevent UFOs – unwanted flying objects. Making the mitered cuts will probably be tricky in this respect, since the pieces are quite small perpendicular to the blade. You can still clamp them using a piece of scrap that rests on the workpiece on one side and another piece of equal thickness on the other, both to one side of the blade. Then clamp down the scrap to hold your workpiece for the cut.
While the circular saw is a common replacement for the table saw, it will probably have a hard time handeling these small cuts. Thus, you would probably be better off cutting them on a bandsaw or with a jigsaw, although both will probably require additional sanding operations to produce flat surfaces.
The drum sanding jig can easily be replaced by various kinds of powered or hand sanding, maybe even a plane wielded with skill. If you do the version that I made by mistake, this step is purely cosmetic to remove residue and imperfections. If you want to get endgrain on the outside, like my original intention was, you will need to take more care here, since the surface will be part off a very visible glue joint later.
Thanks for reading and watching, and remember to be Inspired!
Inspire your inbox!
Subscribe and never miss a project!
Thank you for subscribing!
Something went wrong...